Might I have a claim against the bar at which the drunk driver – who caused the accident in which I was injured – continuously served alcohol?

Yes. Bars, restaurants, etc., have a duty (both legal and ethical) to stop serving alcohol to people who are unfit to consume alcohol, including minors and alcoholics. Florida state law holds that a person who willfully and unlawfully sells or gives alcohol to a minor, or who knowingly serves alcohol to someone habitually addicted to alcohol, may be liable for any injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of the individual.

For example, let’s say John D., a known alcoholic, is served whiskey at a bar, then proceeds to leave the bar, get into his car, and get into a car accident, injuring somebody. The injured individual would have a legal claim against John D., but also against the bartender who knowingly, and unlawfully, served him.

Visits: 0