Personal Injury – Compensation???

Personal Injury – Compensation???

Personal injury attorneys are plentiful for a reason – personal injuries are a common (unfortunately) part of life in our society.  Our culture is founded in the notion that justice is sought through the law, both in criminal cases and in civil cases such as those stemming from personal injury cases.  So, when you are injured due to the negligence of another, for example in an auto accident, it may be necessary and helpful for you to retain an attorney to fight on your behalf.

One of the most tangible ways that you can be compensated for your injuries is through the receipt of financial payments by the negligent party (usually their insurance companies).  These may help to cover the damage to your car, the medical bills that you incurred as a result of the accident, and any future medical attention you may need.

Another area of compensation that you may be entitled to is for the pain and suffering you suffer as a result of the other person’s negligence.  In Florida, in most car accident cases, in order to recover for pain and suffering you must have a permanent injury resulting from the accident.  A permanent injury can be proven through your physician.  Whether it is continuing pain, loss of range of motion or some other physical impairment, your physician must be able to qualify your injury.  Usually, your physician will use the American Medical Association’s Guide to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment to determine whether you have a permanent injury.  This medical “dictionary” allows the physician to determine what % of your body is “impaired” as a result of the injury.

There are other areas of suffering, however, that are often overlooked in the midst of the chaos that ensues following a devastating auto accident.  The first, the notion of Duties Under Duress, speaks to your ability (or lack thereof) to perform day-to-day tasks under the pressure and limitations instituted by the injuries you sustained from the auto accident.  For example, if you are a mother and the injury has left you unable to care properly for your children (i.e., cook for them, drive them to school, dress them, etc.), you may be entitled to compensation for that.

Another area is that of Loss of Enjoyment.  It’s defined pretty much by its name.  If you were once an avid golfer, for example, and hip injuries from an auto accident have prevented you from playing the game you love, you may be entitled to compensation for the loss of the enjoyment of the game of golf.  Let’s say you loved to paint on the weekends, and you suffered a wrist injury from an auto accident.  You may be entitled to compensation for that loss of enjoyment as well.

When you are the victim of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation in many areas.  If you have suffered a loss due to the actions of another and have questions regarding your injury, please contact the Law Offices of Aronberg & Aronberg at 561-266-9191 or email us at

Views: 0